Mother’s Day is coming up in Britain next weekend (*friendly reminder to those who have forgot*) and what better way to treat your Mum than some homemade cupcakes? Everyone loves cupcakes, especially my Mum, and even if you’re not great at baking, it’s the thought that counts.
These heart chocolate cupcakes not only look gorgeous, but taste absolutely divine. I made these cupcakes last year for my Grandmother’s birthday, and they went down so well I have decided to bake them for my Mum this year for Mother’s Sunday. They are fairly easy to make, but I must admit they take a little bit of effort in order to get the presentation right. Altogether the cupcakes take about 1 hour and 10 minutes to make, but this can increase to approximately 1 and a half hours if you’re not a confident baker (like myself). However, it is worth the effort because you will definitely have one very happy Mum.
Prep time – 40 minutes | Cooking time – 25 minutes
- 12 cupcake cases, in whatever colour you’d prefer
- 140g unsalted butter
- 100g caster sugar
- 50g light brown sugar
- 2 medium eggs
- 150g self-raising flour
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder (mixed with 2 tbsp boiling water)
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 50g white chocolate chips
For the icing
- 100g unsalted butter
- 200g icing sugar
- 50g white chocolate, chopped and melted
- 1 tsp pink food colouring, or your Mum’s favourite colour?
Different ways of filling the heart-shaped holes
- Preheat the oven to 180°C, 160°C (fan), gas mark 4
- Place 12 cupcake cases in the holes of a muffin tray, a plain tray works just as well
- Whisk the butter and sugar into a bowl until softened
- Add the eggs with 3 tablespoons of the flour – whisk until smooth
- Add the cocoa powder mixture, the vanilla essence, remaining flour and the baking powder – whisk until smooth and then add the white chocolate chips into the mixture
- Spoon the mixture into the cupcake cases (approximately 3/4 full)
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until firm to touch, leave to cool on a wire rack
For the icing
- Whisk the butter until softened, then add the icing sugar with half the white chocolate – whisk until smooth
- Beat in the remaining white chocolate and the food colouring
- Using a very small heart shaped cutter, or by hand, cut hearts out of the tops of the cakes
- Spoon the buttercream into the heart shaped holes
- Dust with the icing sugar to serve
These cupcakes can obviously be changed depending on your preferences, or more importantly your Mum’s. If chocolate cupcakes aren’t your thing, use a vanilla sponge? It’s up to you.
P.S. These cupcakes can be kept for up to 3 days if unfilled with buttercream icing. If they are filled, they should ideally be eaten on the same day, within 24 hours. They are best stored in an airtight container, such as a Tupperware box or cake tin.
2 thoughts on “Heart Chocolate Cupcakes”
Oh sugar, thanks for reminding me 😆
I’ll be attempting these 💟🍰😍
LikeLiked by 1 person
No worries! They’re honestly so good and aren’t too difficult to make! Let me know how you get on ☺️🍰 X